12 Gas fireplace safety tips
12 Gas-burning fireplace safety tips
Protect your family and your home from harm and practice good gas fireplace safety.
Whenever you use a gas appliance in your home, you run the risk that excess carbon monoxide will poison your family or that an untended gas flame will cause a fire.
You can prevent those tragedies by studying your manufacturer’s gas fireplace safety instructions and by following our tips for enjoying your gas fireplace safely.
12 Gas-burning fireplace safety tips:
1. Hire a Gas Fireplace Solutions designer technician to work on your gas line or propane tank. These jobs are for an experienced professional, not a do-it-yourselfer.
2. Ask your designer technician to install an oxygen-depletion sensor in your gas fireplace. This device, sometimes called a “safety pilot,” automatically shuts the gas off if the temperature in the fireplace gets too cold or if too much carbon monoxide builds up. Insist on having one, even if your gas fireplace is vented.
- Check your county and city building codes before installing a gas fireplace to learn about restrictions on where you can place a gas fireplace. Ask your designer technician to get a building permit before installing the gas line or propane tank that will fuel your fireplace.
- Hire a professional chimney sweep before you fire up your gas logs for the first time.
- Although tests show that gas fireplaces do not increase carbon monoxide levels in your home, it’s wise to have the detectors if you use any gas appliances at home, including a furnace, a stove or a fireplace. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your house. Target the bedrooms. Change the batteries twice a year.
- You’ll need a designer technician inspect and clean your gas log set once a year. During a routine maintenance tune-up inspection, the professional technician will:
- Clean and adjust the logs and accessories like the glowing “embers” so they look their best.
- Clean the fan and air circulation passages.
- Clean the glass.
- Check the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector.
- Make sure vents are unobstructed.
- Keep children away from the gas fireplace. If your model has glass doors, they will get hot enough to burn a little body that leans against it.
- Leave three feet between the fireplace and flammable objects, like furniture and curtains.
- Contact us if you smell an unusual odor or if the appearance of the flames changes. If you smell gas, call 911 and leave the house immediately.
- Burning gas can deplete the oxygen in your home, so if you burn your vent-free logs for more than an hour, crack a window open to replace the oxygen. In fact, you should limit your use of your vent-free gas fireplace to no more than a few hours at a stretch.
- For vented gas logs, clamp your fireplace damper into the open position so it never closes. The open chimney will allow carbon monoxide to escape. A closed one will send it into your home, where it can poison your family. The gas is odorless and colorless, and it doesn’t produce smoke like a wood fire does, so you won’t know it’s in the room until develop symptoms.
Keeping your family warm with a gas fireplace is both energy efficient and beautiful.
We offer solutions to your home’s unique problems in order to keep your home in it’s perfect, desirable condition. Here's a list of our gas fireplaces services:
- Gas fireplace insert installation
- Outdoor gas fireplace insert
- Gas fireplace repair
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Gas log fireplace maintenance
- Gas logs
- Ventless fireplace
- How much does a new gas fireplace cost
- Vented propane fireplaces
- Gas fireplace accessories
- Wood burning stove
- Safety products
- Fireplace remotes
If you see soot accumulating on your logs, then carbon monoxide is also being produced. Turn off the fireplace and call us to repair your gas fireplace logs. Call 911 if you’re feeling sick as this is a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning. Always schedule a Gas Fireplace Solutions designer technician to install, service, and tune-up your gas fireplace. To ensure your gas fireplace works safely, conveniently, and efficiently use your 100% Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee. If you have any questions, please visit our showroom and we’ll assist you.
Experience the professional and excellent customer service with Gas Fireplace Solutions.
- Award winning customer service
- No hidden fees because our technicians provide a written estimate of the cost before project begins.
- We'll notify you when we're on our way.
- You’ll never have to clean up after our designer technicians.
100% satisfaction money back guarantee
If you aren't satisfied with your new gas fireplace, we'll either repair the problem to your satisfaction or remove it and refund the purchase price. Within one year of purchase date. All of this is subject to conditions and limitations.
Financing your new gas fireplace
Start the credit approval process today with only a 15 minute phone call to our office. Get pre-approved for the most affordable payment options for your budget through our incredibly easy financing.
4924 Fort Henry Drive Suite G Kingsport, TN 37663
We never spam or sell your info!